Congratulations to Lynda and the team at Bayside Library Service for holding their inaugural Author Expo at Beaumaris Library on the weekend. I had no idea there were so many writers, illustrators and book lovers in my local community!
A great atmosphere prevailed, where books and ideas were traded with enthusiasm. I look forward to this event growing each year!
An interesting programme, lead by speakers of both published and self-published books included: writing and marketing children’s literature; developing a non-fiction book; challenges in writing and publishing fiction; publish or self-publish?; promotion and the art of marketing; and Baysider writers in residence.
I particularly enjoyed the panel discussion: Promotion is not a dirty word! The art of marketing your book, with authors Lorraine Campbell, Jane Sullivan, Olga Lorenzo and Jenny Ackland. Here are my take-homes from it:
- Be authentic and true to yourself
- Start social media early – well before your book is published – and keep at it!
- Say ‘yes’ to everything!
- Engage with people and find ‘your community’
- You are the expert on your book
- It can be useful to have a ‘hook’ or ‘story’ for your book
- Have your 30 second pitch (what’s sometimes called the ‘elevator pitch’) well-rehearsed at all times!
- Be positive, polite and helpful to others in your industry